September 28, 2024, 11:35:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The Peroxide Effect  (Read 2167 times)

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
The Peroxide Effect
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
This is in response to a thread that dealt with the addition of HBr to vinyl chloride and the formation of either 1,1-dibromoethane or 1,2-dibromoethane.

This is also in response to a paper that Dan posted that I read here: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja01333a048

I understand experimentally what the results are, but how does the peroxide effect actually affect this particular reaction? Affect reactions in general?

I know this paper is from 1933, perhaps there is a new term for the peroxide effect now-a-days.

As a side note...I'm still an undergrad, but I didn't know peroxide resided in many compounds (if that is right)? How does peroxide form in materials?

That may be a large question, so if there is not a specific answer, I always enjoy reading what has already been published out there.

Thanks for the responses.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: The Peroxide Effect
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline BetaAmyloid

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
Have a read here.
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/freerad/alkenehbr.html

Cool, thanks.

So HBr happens to be just right for the peroxide effect.

A question to the mechanism: Why do these peroxides happen to become free radicals, why don't they want to stay as peroxides? Is the bond between oxygens so unstable that it would rather form a radical to accept a proton?

Also, again -- why are these peroxides present in something such as vinyl chloride and why do they increase in concentration over time? I guess I don't understand the formation of radicals from the environment. I found autoxidation, nevermind. But still the free radical question remains above.

Thanks for the read and response.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Presumably these peroxide radicals form because the O-O bond strength is low, around 50 Kcal/mol, and the action of UV causes the bond to break. This is why some polymers degrade after long exposure to light.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline BetaAmyloid

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »
Ah, okay, makes sense.

Thanks for the insight!

Sponsored Links