September 28, 2024, 09:28:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pchem and Organometallic's  (Read 2001 times)

Offline ajolly

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Pchem and Organometallic's
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
Hey crew I was curious if it would be reasonable to take Organometallics before pchem.  I realize this probably varies school to school but would like to hear some opinions.  Basically I am trying to avoid Pchem till senior year (I am a sophomore) because I am  currently pretty bad at math but fantastic at conceptualizing things that are qualitative....like OChem.... Hopefully by senior year my math skills will be reasonable and I will have no trouble with pchem.   

Offline argulor

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Re: Pchem and Organometallic's
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
I would imagine pchem would be a must for organometallics, however I'm sure it could be done. What does your department recommend? They would probably give you the best answer.

Offline ajolly

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »
Well, Pchem is not a pre req.  but the class is at our Harvey mudd campus meaning its the course should be pretty rigorous and unfortunately no one on campus takes the class...that I know, so I have no feed back.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:34:05 AM »
Do you have a specific reason why you want to take that organometallics course?

Offline ajolly

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »
 Because in ochem I find the most interesting parts include organometallics like how coordination complexes are so involved in life processes like chlorophyll, hemoglobin, and numerous medications like the resultant of the chelation between Dimercapto-propane sulfonate and mercury for detox.

Sponsored Links