September 27, 2024, 06:21:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Preparing Alkyl Halides from Alcohols. Add HF when not a tertiary carbon???  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Lo.Lee.Ta.

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
I am working a problem that wants me to prepare 3-fluoro-1,1,-dimethylcyclopentane using an alcohol.

Well, in my book it says to use PBr3 or SOCl3 when you're dealing with a primary or secondary alcohol.
Only for tertiary alcohols can you use a halogen acid, e.g. HCl

The solution says to add HF with pyridine.
But how could we do that? It looks to me like the carbon attached to the OH is seconday, not tertiary.

The carbon directly attached to the OH has an H substituent. Having 1 H substituent would make it secondary.

Is it really not secondary? Or else, how could this be?

Thanks for your *delete me* :)

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +188/-50
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Who says you can not use the Hydrogen halides directly? Of course Phosphorous or sulfur halides react more better and higher yield. You component is of course a secondary alcohol before you exchange to fluoride.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Monatshefte für Chemie / Chemical Monthly
September 2005, Volume 136, Issue 9, pp 1579-1582
Practical and General Method for Direct Synthesis of Alkyl Fluorides from Alcohols under Mild Conditions
Babasaheb P. Bandgar, Vinod T. Kamble, Ankush V. Biradar

A variety of alcohols were treated with Ph3P and KF in CCl4-DMF at room temperature to afford the corresponding fluorides in very good yields.
AWK

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Monatshefte für Chemie / Chemical Monthly
September 2005, Volume 136, Issue 9, pp 1579-1582
Practical and General Method for Direct Synthesis of Alkyl Fluorides from Alcohols under Mild Conditions
Babasaheb P. Bandgar, Vinod T. Kamble, Ankush V. Biradar

A variety of alcohols were treated with Ph3P and KF in CCl4-DMF at room temperature to afford the corresponding fluorides in very good yields.

This looks like a modified Appel reaction, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appel_reaction.

I didn't think and don't think HF/pyridine will give a fluoride. HF is not a strong acid and pyridine/HF is less strong. I think this is simply a fluoride source. I suggest that a bromide, mesylate, or some kind of leaving group be formed first.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +328/-24
Orgopete, I am not familiar with these reagents, but your point about having tosylate or something equivalent as a leaving group is well taken.  I wonder, though, if the purpose of pyridine is to produce some fraction of fluoride ion, F-, as a nucleophile.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Orgopete, I am not familiar with these reagents, but your point about having tosylate or something equivalent as a leaving group is well taken.  I wonder, though, if the purpose of pyridine is to produce some fraction of fluoride ion, F-, as a nucleophile.

I presume.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links