September 24, 2024, 07:22:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Plastic used in pill bottles?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline cromwell1625

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Plastic used in pill bottles?
« on: December 11, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
Hello,
    I was hoping someone could tell me what kind of plastic is used to make prescription pill bottles. I am referring to the ones that are colored orange. Typically what you would receive from a Wal-Mart pharmacy.
    I ask because I drilled a hole in one and accidentally breathed in a very small amount (about the diameter of a sewing needle) of the dust. I am not truly concerned that I will suffer any serious effects from it, but it occurred to me that I should learn more before I assume all is well. So does anyone know if this very small amount would be harmful enough to seek medical attention?

PS: I wasn't sure exactly where to put this thread. I figured I was analyzing the plastic and it's effects. Please inform me of where and why it should be if it is moved.

Sincerely,
    -Konner

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Plastic used in pill bottles?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
We could be able to find out, by using the recycling symbol on the plastic bottle.  Assuming you haven't drilled through the symbol.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »
    I ask because I drilled a hole in one and accidentally breathed in a very small amount (about the diameter of a sewing needle) of the dust. I am not truly concerned that I will suffer any serious effects from it, but it occurred to me that I should learn more before I assume all is well. So does anyone know if this very small amount would be harmful enough to seek medical attention?

This is not medical advice; but I doubt it will do you any harm. How fine was the dust? What were you drilling with?

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
The large ones are all PET. They might even be multilayer like the cola bottles these days.
The small ones that the pharmacist gives is polystyrene and sometimes polypropylene.

Sponsored Links