September 20, 2024, 12:26:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nitric Acid Synthesis  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Archy12345

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Nitric Acid Synthesis
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:06:11 AM »
I'm on a quest to get high yields of nitric acid using a modification of the NO2 method.

The problem I'm trying to get around is that when you dissolve nitrogen dioxide in water you get nitrogen monoxide as a product. I want there to be a good amount of oxygen gas that the NO can react with to reform NO2 that can then again dissolve in the water.
My plan to produce O2 is to just put some MnO2 into a H2O2 solution. But I'm wondering if the MnO2 will have any effects on the HNO3 that is forming. Does anyone know if it will catalyze the decomposition or not?

Offline Archy12345

Re: Nitric Acid Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:14:18 AM »
I just realized that it would just react with the acid forming MnNO3. So, does anyone have any ideas as to what catalyst I should use?

Offline Wastrel

• Mole Snacks: +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »
If you are after dilute nitric regular air will do.  If you are after concentrated nitric acid then this method gets dangerous on top of the existing toxic NO2 hazards.  Prior to the construction of nitric concentration plants the weak nitric was neutralised with sodium carbonate and then distilled with sulphuric for the war effort.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Why don't you push some air into the your system? It is free.

If you want to use H2O2 and MnO2, do the reaction in a flask and connect the flask to your system with a hose.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +224/-62
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
@Archy12345
Why not GOOGLE
nitric acid
and use the nerdrage youtube link for your process

I have seen results from making acid where the container bursts
be prepared and careful
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:10:52 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline Archy12345

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:19 AM »
Since I don't have a way to hook up another gas generator for oxygen, I'll just fill up a balloon with oxygen and then put that into the system right before I do the experiment.

And yes, I have seen Nurdrage's video. Our set ups are quite different, and my set up more reflects that of Myst32YT's video, as I get the hydrogen ion from a bisulfate ion instead of another acid. I'm trying to, as he put it, "streamline" his process. My results should be less concentrated (anywhere from 7-10M), but have a much higher yield (hopefully about 90% or above if I'm lucky.)
And I am taking all safety precautions. Gas mask, I'll be wearing thick clothing, and in a ventilated room. I'll have Sodium Hydroxide solutions to neutralize any thing that could spill, and Sodium bicarbonate solutions if anything gets on me. And an ice water bath will already be available as I need one for the reaction.

Offline Wastrel

• Mole Snacks: +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
Gas masks are usually designed for trace amounts in the air, not for staying close to sources of toxic gasses, have you tested it for nitrogen oxides?

Bear in mind NO2 is insideous.

Offline Archy12345

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:34:18 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. How would you suggest dealing with the gases? I'm not making large amounts of it, but better safe than sorry.

And I haven't tested it, but the NO2 is very clearly visible and present.

I'm going for 9.5M HNO3

Sponsored Links