September 19, 2024, 12:06:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Reaction Engineering Problem, Help please :)  (Read 2036 times)

Offline lorenzo666

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Chemical Reaction Engineering Problem, Help please :)
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
Hi all

I have been given some questions that I have no idea how to approach from the notes we have in 'advanced reaction engineering', any help would be much appreciated.

1)

A phenol spill has occurred at an unknown location upstream of 2 points of detection:

Portsmouth: detected phenol for 9.25hours, with peak concentration at 8am Monday
Cincinatti: detected phenol for 12hours, with peak concentration at 8am Tuesday.

(Cincinatti is 119 miles downstram from Portsmouth)

Calculate how far upstream, and at what time, the spill occurred

2)

2 perfectly mixed CSTRs in series at steady state, are being fed with a solution of A.  In error, this solution of A is replaced by a 10molar solution of B.

What will the concentration of B in reactor 1 be when the concentration of A in reactor 2 has fallen by 50%?

Thanks!

For Q1 I think it has something to do with estimating standard deviation value by assuming the peak width to be 6 sd, but have not managed to apply that to any equation successfully.  I think the river speed can be calculated as 5.2597mph, I believe I need to find tm for both and thus find the distance.  However this might be completely wrong.

Sponsored Links