September 19, 2024, 10:42:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for a disinfectant testing standard!  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Ruichi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Looking for a disinfectant testing standard!
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
Hello,

I am a Chemical Engineering student. Currently, I'm involved in a research meant to determine the potential of Eucalyptus and Rosemary essential oils to be used as disinfectants. We pretend to compare their antibacterial capacity against common quaternary ammonium based products.

After reading a lot of scientific publications, I noticed most of researchers conduct their testings acording to the following standard method:

BS EN 1276:2009
Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics . Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas. Test method and requirements (phase 2, step 1)

It seems to be the most detailed and reliable standard method currently available. I have tried to download it, but it seems like the only way to acquire it, is paying £ 184.00 to BSI... Being a student (with no money income yet) I can not pay that ammount...

I would really appreciate if somebody could share a copy of this standard method with me.

Please and thanks.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Looking for a disinfectant testing standard!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:50:32 AM »
BS EN means that this British Standard exists as a EuroNorm as well:
EUROPEAN COMMITTEE FOR STANDARDIZATION
Management Centre:  Avenue Marnix 17,  B-1000 Brussels
http://esearch.cen.eu/esearch/Details.aspx?id=10979543

and as varied national standards:
UNI EN 1276:2009
DIN EN 1276
etc.

"Only" 110-140€ there...
http://www.nal.din.de/cmd?artid=122669417&bcrumblevel=1&level=tpl-art-detailansicht&committee....
other countries might give it for free, as each agency defines its policy.

At least for mechanical engineering, books exist that just compile hundreds of standards, and these books use to be much cheaper than each standard. Chances are that you find such a book at your library.

At the BSI office, maybe you can read that standard?

The cost of norms is a genuine annoyance, not only for students.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Looking for a disinfectant testing standard!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:05:02 AM »
It seems to be the most detailed and reliable standard method currently available. I have tried to download it, but it seems like the only way to acquire it, is paying £ 184.00 to BSI... Being a student (with no money income yet) I can not pay that ammount...

I would really appreciate if somebody could share a copy of this standard method with me.

Copyright infringement is illegal, and asking for copies of books or other such material is forbidden on Chemical Forums.

Please read the Forum Rules.

If you cannot afford to buy it, you will have to check libraries.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links