September 07, 2024, 08:13:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ph.D  (Read 3235 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
Ph.D
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
How hard is it to get into a Ph.D program in chemistry (likely organic but possibly other disciplines) with a biochemistry major. It's too late to switch to straight chemistry or I won't graduate on time. Most of the courses are similar to the chemistry major and I take all the same chemistry courses with the exception of biophysical in place of physical but our biophysical is VERY similar to physical.. Just has a few extra topics like enzyme kinetics etc. my research is also straight chem (inorganic). Any insight appreciated

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +540/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Ph.D
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
Not hard.  Many chemistry departments have biochemistry divisions.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline orgo814

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »
Yeah but I don't want my Ph.d to be in biochemistry. I want it to be in another branch... Possibly organic or analytical. Biochemistry was just my undergrad

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +540/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:00:08 PM »
Varies from school to school, but where I did my PhD, the degree was in chemistry regardless of what division you were in.  My division was formally inorganic.  My research was mostly physical.  And my degree is chemistry.  All the division meant was what classes you needed to take, and you could choose whatever you wanted.  Classes were mostly meaningless anyway.  So you could be in the chemistry department, biochemistry division, and your degree was in chemistry.

But to make things more confusing: my university ALSO had a biochemistry department.  If you graduated from that department your PhD would have been in biochemistry.  Some of the professors had dual appointments.  These same kinds of overlaps are encountered with physics and material science as well.

My advice would be to inquire at the university you are applying to and see if they accept biochemistry b.s.  In the overwhelming majority of cases they won't care - if you have the required courses, plus the required standardized tests, you could probably be an English major for all it mattered.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline orgo814

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
Thank you this was helpful and comforting to know I can achieve my goals

Sponsored Links