September 20, 2024, 11:28:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how much energy produced by burning hydrogen gas?  (Read 2880 times)

Offline iScience

• Mole Snacks: +4/-22
how much energy produced by burning hydrogen gas?
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »
please confirm this for me: if i obtain hydrogen via electrolysis, wouldn't it make sense that the amount of energy i get out of burning the amount of H2 i have would be equal to the kWhr of electricity i put into the system?

if not, why not?

if so, is there a problem with the practicality of this where one equals the other?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:09:31 PM by iScience »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +540/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: how much energy produced by burning hydrogen gas?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »
Ideally, yes. But as you can expect, there are always going to be energy losses. The biggest losses will be from hydrogen transport, maintenance of equipment, loss of hydrogen, and side reactions. At the moment with current technology (particularly the transport and maintenance of equipment part) those losses are large enough that pure hydrogen is not yet a cost-effective fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 06:38:13 AM »
if so, is there a problem with the practicality of this where one equals the other?

So, you can conceive of no practicality problems with getting exactly the same amount of energy out that you put in?  Like Corribus: said, there are always losses in transport and and transmission, so you want to ignore that, for the time being?  Sure ... but why?  What's the next point in the discussion?  Maybe you'd like to use electrolysis as an energy storage medium?  That is, perform electrolysis when energy is plentiful (i.e. solar cells in the daytime) and burn hydrogen when you need energy (to continue the example, at night.)  I suppose that's plauible, but since there are always some losses to side reactions, and wasted energy, why discount it, even for an academic question?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
please confirm this for me: if i obtain hydrogen via electrolysis, wouldn't it make sense that the amount of energy i get out of burning the amount of H2 i have would be equal to the kWhr of electricity i put into the system?

if not, why not?

You'll have losses right at the start too. Electric heating of your wires etc.

Sponsored Links