September 28, 2024, 01:25:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Magnetic Field effects on cells' health?  (Read 7041 times)

Offline oem7110

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Magnetic Field effects on cells' health?
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:17:42 PM »
Referring to following video, under a strong magnetic field, the cell becomes swelling.

Do the cell become unhealthy under strong magnetic field?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on within cells?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Quadrapolar magnet generating field gradient effects on kainic acid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caxb808KRiM

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +541/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Magnetic Field effects on cells' health?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline oem7110

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 12:03:33 AM »
Maybe this is relevant:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15556660

Referring to video, the cell becomes swelling, do you have any suggestions on what cause cell's swelling?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »
If you go to the YouTube page itself, and click on more, you get the authors name, and a great deal of information from the abstract.  And likely even more from the article itself.  The authors also don't do just one thing, but likely have many publications.  So if you want to try, you can learn a great deal more about the phenomena.  The journal this article comes in may have many more articles that follow the same general topic.  Maybe even, later editions contain articles with contrary evidence, or review articles that cast doubt on the methodology, or even a retraction from the author.  You have plenty to work with.

I think its pretty exciting to have finally found some link between strong magnetic fields and cells.  I would have to read lots of these articles before I could decide they were significant.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
I take with huge disconfidence any paper claiming observed effects of static magnetic fields on biology.

Magnets have been around for centuries. Observable effects woud be exactly documented. Worse: imagine what effect would be observed by a human if already a single cell reacted like this.

We put humans in fields and field gradients everyday in MRI apparatus. Medics observe the patients. Nothing to note.

Exceptions:
- Some birds (not all) and perhaps some fish are sensitive to the orientation and strength of the geomagnetic field. This has been observed again and again in experiments. Special cells near the beak apparently.
- Humans have been found sensitive to microwaves (not a static field) produced by their cell phone. Curiously, all the frenzy about this danger has vanished since the very day that the first serious positive result was published.

-----

The nbci paper has seen an effect by ferrous ions... which use to be nonmagnetic. Pity, magnetism is a molecular property, not an atomic one. That doesn't help me believe the paper.

-----

Cell swell: "entry of water and sodium" and "diuretic furosemide".

Offline oem7110

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:21:05 AM »
We put humans in fields and field gradients everyday in MRI apparatus. Medics observe the patients. Nothing to note.

Does any report observe on how body cells behave in this details? just like the video.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
If the video's huge effect on one cell happened really, humans in an MRI would immediately pee, provided they survive, and be brutally ill.
In short: I disbelieve it.

Offline oem7110

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:41:12 AM »
Will the rate of chemical reaction be effected under strong magnetic field?
will the reachion become faster or slower?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
Unless a substance/molecule/atom has a spin multiplicity greater than 1 (has unpaired electrons), its chemical behavior should be pretty invariant to the application of a magnetic field. Therefore most chemical reactions should not change under the application of a magnetic field, unless they involve free radicals or paramagnetic substances.

That said, the rates of many photochemical reactions can be changed under the application of a strong magnetic field.  This is, of course, because while in their ground electronic states most organic molecules are in singlet spin states, this isn't necessarily the case after they've been photoexcited. 

Still, I don't see how this can affect the gross chemical behavior of a biological cell. Like Enthalpy, therefore, I am skeptical of this.

You might find this article of interest:

http://www.pnas.org/content/109/5/1357.extract
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:11:39 AM by Corribus »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline oem7110

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »
... the rates of many photochemical reactions can be changed under the application of a strong magnetic field. 

Could you please describe more on whether the rate of photochemical reactions get faster or slower under a strong magnetic field?  Do you know the reason why it behavors in this way?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
Could you please describe more on whether the rate of photochemical reactions get faster or slower under a strong magnetic field?  Do you know the reason why it behavors in this way?
Yes. Briefly, the degree of coupling between two electronic states is dependent (among other things) on the energy gap between them.  In the absence of a magnetic field, all the states that comprise a triplet state are degenerate (have the same energy). When a B-field is applied, the degeneracy is broken: one of the states goes up in energy, one goes down and one stays the same. The change in energy that occurs can thus increase (or decrease) the coupling between states, and hence, the rate of photophysical and/or photochemical processes.

As an example of this effect in practice, you might check out this article or others by the same research group:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja1094815?journalCode=jacsat&quickLinkVolume=133&quickLinkPage=1240&selectedTab=citation&volume=133

As to whether these effects can be used to influence bulk chemical reactions... I'm not sure. I'd have to look around. But in principle I don't see why not. Presumably if you can influence formation of a photo-excited triplet state via the appication of a magnetic field, you will also influence generation of singlet oxygen, which obviously can have an impact on the surrounding chemical environment.

Offline oem7110

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
...As to whether these effects can be used to influence bulk chemical reactions... I'm not sure. I'd have to look around. But in principle I don't see why not. Presumably if you can influence formation of a photo-excited triplet state via the appication of a magnetic field, you will also influence generation of singlet oxygen, which obviously can have an impact on the surrounding chemical environment.

If you find any related information, could you please reply back? I would like to know whether the rate of chemical reaction is getting faster or slower under a strong of magnetic field.

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions ;)

Sponsored Links