September 07, 2024, 08:06:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acetone  (Read 6214 times)

Offline leviscott89

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Acetone
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
What is the volume in mL of 6.74g of acetone?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Acetone
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
7.93 ml

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1805/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
What is the volume in mL of 6.74g of acetone?

Please read the forum rules. You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »
@ curiouscat : might it be that you did confuse density and volume here?

due to my charts ( i.e. CRC Handbook of chemistry and physics) the density of acetone is ~ 0.79 g/cm³ at 20°C

hence, 6.74 g of aceton would result in ~ 8.53 mL of volume under those conditions

regards

ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1805/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »
7.93 ml

No. And don't give final answers, regardless of whether they are right, or wrong.

Congrats to both of you for doing OP homework. Sigh.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »
Well, like Borek: said, cut that out.  Its September, and lots of kiddies have just gotten chemistry course books and internet access.  What we have to do, on this forum, is politely and constructively push them to this forums purpose: carefully worked out chemistry problems, that benefit everybody who's browsing the forum. 

Seriously curiouscat:, what if the O.P. was depending on the answer for some sort of procedure, and the wrong answer caused them to be hurt?  No, seriously, really, caused an actual injury requiring medical attention?  I can hear the peanut gallery going, "Serves 'em right" but anyone who isn't 8 years old should know that municipalities, courts, law enforcement, just basic human culture is actually against hurting the lazy.  It would be interesting if that weren't the case, but we don't live in that sort of world.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:47:14 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links