September 23, 2024, 10:39:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Substance similar in tasting to Ethanol  (Read 4081 times)

Offline kmorze

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Substance similar in tasting to Ethanol
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Are there any chemical compound or mixtures, that are similar in smelling and tasting to ethanol (but haven't toxic or narcotic influence for human organism)?

Offline Altered State

• Mole Snacks: +24/-4
    • Chemistry Hall
Re: Substance similar in tasting to Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
I don't know who could tell you about how pure ethanol tastes.
I guess it has a burning-your-tongue taste...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:55:04 PM by Altered State »

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »
Are there any chemical compound or mixtures, that are similar in smelling and tasting to ethanol (but haven't toxic or narcotic influence for human organism)?

The taste of beer / rum / etc. is derived from entities other than the ethanol itself mostly.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
There is nothing known I'm afraid, if you find something then you will be extremely well rewarded by the flavour and fragrance industry.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
There is nothing known I'm afraid, if you find something then you will be extremely well rewarded by the flavour and fragrance industry.

I'll disagree on that. Pure alcohol does have a smell and taste but it's nothing anyone should have much of a commercial interest in  replicating. 190 proof spirits or Everclear etc. taste pretty much like a burning sensation with a mild grainy whiff.

The interest lies in replicating smell / taste of particular spirits (rum etc.) and here already significantly close chemical analogs exist at least in the flavors industry.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:21:25 AM »
Sorry my friend, I am going to disagree with you with experience on my side. I worked in R&D in the food and beverage industry for 5 years, part of this role was flavours for alcoholic beverages. Non-alcoholic (alcohol content not detectable) beer is a huge industry in some counties.

A significant amount of the flavour profile, mouthfeel etc. of alcoholic beverages is imparted from ethanol. 96% food grade ethanol does indeed have a distinct aroma and taste.

Many companies are investing (and offering) vast sums of money for an ethanol replacement for the beverage industry.

Call Diageo and ask them if you don't believe me.

Denis Leary.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 02:48:27 AM »
Sorry my friend, I am going to disagree with you with experience on my side. I worked in R&D in the food and beverage industry for 5 years, part of this role was flavours for alcoholic beverages. Non-alcoholic (alcohol content not detectable) beer is a huge industry in some counties.

A significant amount of the flavour profile, mouthfeel etc. of alcoholic beverages is imparted from ethanol. 96% food grade ethanol does indeed have a distinct aroma and taste.

Many companies are investing (and offering) vast sums of money for an ethanol replacement for the beverage industry.

Call Diageo and ask them if you don't believe me.

Interesting. You know more I think. I defer to your knowledge.

Live and learn! :)  I never realized there was a market for pure ethanol "taste" (if it has one). Note the distinction between the derivative flavor of beer / spirits etc. I do know there's a market for those. Just didn't know there's a market for "pure ethanol flavor"

Do you know any molecules they've found? e.g. I know rum comes close to isobutyl propionate.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »

I never realized there was a market for pure ethanol "taste" (if it has one). Just didn't know there's a market for "pure ethanol flavor"

No one has ever tasted "pure" ethanol, the material which is food grade is made by distillation and will carry over some of the flavour from the frementation process (albeit only a small ammount).

The issue is the difference in taste in the absence of ethanol.

Do you know any molecules they've found?

I was told that if I could discover a formulation with the same aroma profile as ethanol imparts then I would never have to work again! As this has eluded some of the greatest minds in flavour chemistry for many years I considered this to be something quite beyond my capabilities.

I suspect that if anyone is working towards this then it is a closely guarded secret.

I am not familair with Rum (appart from consumption), what you say is very interesting though! I know that "peaty" single malt whiskeys from Isla, such as Laphroaig, get their distinct smokey flavour from small phenolic compounds.

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links