September 28, 2024, 11:37:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: on the excess of two ions in a solution.  (Read 5835 times)

Chung Ling Boys

on the excess of two ions in a solution.
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:06:26 AM »
my teacher gave us a test with this question:To a solution [Ca2+(aq)  ]=0.00500 mol dm-3,sufficient solid ammonium oxalate, (NH4)C2O4 is added to make the initial concerntration [C2O42- ]=0.00510 mol dm-3.Calculate the equilibrium concerntration of Ca2+ and C2O42- ions resulting from the precipitation reaction.(Given Ksp of CacC2O4=2.70 x 10-9 mol2 dm-6).
*note that ionic qoutient is much larger then Ksp.both ions present in excess.

according to her, we must first assume all the ions precipitate at the amount of the less concerntrated ions(i.e. C2O42-) ,hence there will be remains of the ions which was more initially. at this point, we must use common ions effect to deal with the remaining steps.

is the method my teacher suggested correct?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:09:18 AM by Chung Ling Boys »

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
Re:on the excess of two ions in a solution.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
It seems reliable  :D  to me, except for the fact that Ca2+ is the less concerntrated ion (according to what you wrote).

Chung Ling Boys

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 11:45:45 AM »
the initial concerntartion is given, probably the equilibrium is not achive yet, thats why the concerntration is a bit strange.

I have been discussing the method with my classmates, we were very confused by the fact that we can assume all the ions precipitate ..since the salt is a revisible reaction, why isn;t the Ksp consider at the 1st part?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
Do the calculations as you are told and check, how much Ca2+ is left in the solution. You will be able to check whether the initial assumption (of 100% precipitation) was correct.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 11:57:38 AM »
It's a reversible reaction but the common ion effect completely overlaps the reverse path, dissolution.

Chung Ling Boys

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »
do you mean that because both ions is present in excess, which causes the common ion efect dominates the reaction instead of the ussual Ksp way to solve problems like this? But does assuming all ions precipitate anything to do with the common ions effect theory? (sorry maybe i dont get what u mean yet..) anyway, i will post the steps to solve this question which i did it according to my teacher's suggestion. Its abit late over here in Malaysia, and i still have a chemistry paper tomorrow. Thanks for the *delete me*(this is a great site!)

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »
Ca2+ + C2O42-  ->  CaC2O4  ->    Ca2+ + C2O42-

The second reaction, dissolution, should take place as well as its counterpart, precipitation, according to the value of Ksp.

In the exercise proposed, anyhow, the quantity of ions at the beginning is so large, that it makes the common ion effect paramount.
To sum up, dissolution, actually, does not occur, because the number of moles produced by dissolution is etremely inferior, compared to those introduced at the beginning of the experiment.

Ca2+    +     C2O42-                CaC2O4      C2O42-
0.0050 mol + 0.0051 mol  ->  0.0050 mol  + 0.0001mol (surplus of C2O42- )

In case you'd have to calculate solubility, pay attention: you must consider a common ion again.

I hope to have been clearer this time.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 01:27:00 AM »
Now is time to solve a simple quadratic equation:
x(x+0.0001)=Ksp
AWK

Sponsored Links