September 21, 2024, 08:41:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Meso Compounds  (Read 2916 times)

Offline PandaSocks

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Meso Compounds
« on: October 21, 2013, 05:01:36 AM »
Sorry if this is really basic or if it's been asked before but I've already tried to search it and nothing really answers my questions.

Even though we've already taken a midterm on it and I've tried to look it up many times, I find that I don't really understand meso compounds.

Would it accurate to say that all meso compounds can be considered the same molecule but not all same molecules are meso compounds?

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Meso Compounds
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:17:51 AM »
Would it accurate to say that all meso compounds can be considered the same molecule but not all same molecules are meso compounds?

No you cannot say that all meso-compounds are the same molecule. This is not correct, there is a limitless number of meso-compounds and they are all different molecules.

Can you provide an example of a meso-compound, preferably one which does not originate from Wikipedia?

“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline TwistedConf

• Mole Snacks: +10/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
Would it accurate to say that all meso compounds can be considered the same molecule

Perhaps you mean that a meso compound and its mirror image are the same compound?  That's would be true.

Offline cbn

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »
A meso compound is a molecule with two or more identical stereocenters.
 Also, it has an internal symmetry plane that divides the compound in half. These two halves reflect each other by the internal mirror.
A meso compound is achiral.Also it is inactive optically.

Sponsored Links