September 21, 2024, 01:54:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enthalpy of neutralization and hess's law  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Shanth

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enthalpy of neutralization and hess's law
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »
Firstly, is the enthalpy change of neutralization for 2KHCO3 + 2HCl ----> 2KCl + 2H2O + 2CO2  is the same as for KHCO3 + HCl ----> KCl + H2O + CO2?.

....and how would u calculate deltaHr for the reaction :2KHCO3(s) ------> K2CO3(s) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)  when your given deltaHn for KHCO3 + HCl ----> KCl + H2O + CO2 and K2CO3 + 2HCl ---------> 2KCl + H2O + CO2

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Enthalpy of neutralization and hess's law
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:09:15 PM »
Firstly, is the enthalpy change of neutralization for 2KHCO3 + 2HCl ----> 2KCl + 2H2O + 2CO2  is the same as for KHCO3 + HCl ----> KCl + H2O + CO2?.

No. It isn't same.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
ref. the second part of your question, hint:

if given

(I) A + B  :rarrow: C + D ; ΔHr(reaction I)

it directly follows that

(II) C + D  :rarrow: A + B ; ΔHr(reaction II) = - ΔHr(reaction I)

so, you can "revert" an equation including the ΔHr belonging to easily, which at times is quite usefull in Hess type calculations

regards

Ingo

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Shanth

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
So, wil it be 2xdelta Hn of k2co3 and 1xdelta Hn? Cuz that's what I did today in my board practicals and my friends say it's the other way around. And do u have an idea of how many marks I would lose for that?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
so, as everything already is ex post facto , here's what you should have done:

first, you take

(I) KHCO3 + HCl ----> KCl + H2O + CO2 ; ΔHf(I)

and multiply it by two:

(a) 2 KHCO3 + 2 HCl  :rarrow: 2 KCl + 2 H2O + 2 CO2 ; 2 * ΔHf(I)
(so you already have "2 KHCO3" leftside, exactly like you'd need it for your target equation)

then you take the next equation, and revert it:
(II) K2CO3 + 2 HCl  :rarrow: 2 KCl + H2O + CO2 ; ΔHf(II)
 :rarrow:
(b) 2 KCl + H2O + CO2  :rarrow: K2CO3 + 2 HCl ; - ΔHf(II)

then, you add up (a) and (b)

(a) 2 KHCO3 + 2 HCl  :rarrow: 2 KCl + 2 H2O + 2 CO2 ; 2 * ΔHf(I)
+
(b) 2KCl + H2O + CO2  :rarrow: K2CO3 + 2HCl ; - ΔHf(II)
=============================
2 KHCO3 + 2 HCl + 2KCl + H2O + CO2   :rarrow: 2 KCl + 2 H2O+ 2 CO2 + K2CO3 + 2HCl ; 2 * ΔHf(I) - ΔHf(II)

...and at last "clean up" , i.e. remove everything that's left/right identical ( and therefore marked in red above):

(c) 2 KHCO3  :rarrow:  H2O+ CO2 + K2CO3  ; 2 * ΔHf(I) - ΔHf(II)

there you are

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Shanth

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
Thank you very much Ingo. Sorry for asking too many questions but since this method is different to the method I was taught (hess's law triangle), could u explain to me when do u have to revert the equations and why do u  have to add them both (is it always adding or is there subtracting too?) this method looks safer than the triangle one where one can get quite confused!

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »
many ways to skin the cat...

and this is true for systematics ref. calculations using Hess' law, also.

Very early on I personally did discover that too much thinking about when to subtract , when to add, is kind of overdoing for me.
so , consequentely, I brought everything down to "just adding".

I'm looking at my starting equations "what is where" , and compare it to "where  should it be by the end of the day" ( in this case: KHCO3 and K2CO3 were my substances of orientation, and the target equation gave me the answers)

then, if necessary, I rearrange accordingly, or multiply to get the desired stoechiometric factors (ALWAYS keeping in mind to maipulate the ΔHf 's accordingly)

... and then I just add up.
Usually, with just one addition, everything falls in place as desired.
I like my way

regards

Ingo

(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links