October 17, 2024, 11:57:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Galvanic Cells - I think the person who wrote this messed up.  (Read 4208 times)

Offline dudebuddyguy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Galvanic Cells - I think the person who wrote this messed up.
« on: November 29, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
So I'm onto the next part of my online coursework, which is Galvanic cells, and I see this:

2. Create a Daniell cell given the following cell notation:

Pb/Pb(NO3)2//Ca/Ca(NO3)2

a)   Label the electrolytes, electrodes, internal circuit, external circuit, salt bridge(choose an appropriate salt).

b)   Write the oxidation half-reaction, the reduction half-reaction, and the redox reaction equation

c)   Show the direction of electron flow.

d)   Show the direction of movement of the sodium cations and chloride anions.

e)   Determine the cell potential.

f)   Which electrode will decrease in mass as the reaction proceeds?

So I started out by doing the redox reaction, and here's what I got:

Pb = 2 e + Pb{+2}N{+5}O3{-6}
Ca = 2 e + Ca{+2}N{+5}O3{-6}

Judging by some videos I've watched, the redox reaction involves adding either H+'s or H2O to either side to balance it out. With the two reactions above, it seems that I'd need to add 12H+ to both sides to balance them out, which means that both sides are reduction reactions, and there's no oxidation reaction.

Now, when I move onto the other parts of this question, it looks to me like there won't be any reaction or flow of electrons in the Galvanic Cell. Why does this all seem wrong to me?

I mean, the E0(V) of Pb and Ca are -0.13 for Pb, and -2.87 for Ca, so there is a difference in voltage, but other than that, something just seems kinda wrong to me about this equation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Galvanic Cells - I think the person who wrote this messed up.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
NO3- is just a spectator and doesn't change during the reaction. However, metal comes in two forms and getting from to other requires either oxidation or reduction.

Are you sure it was about calcium? Not Co or Cd?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline dudebuddyguy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »
NO3- is just a spectator and doesn't change during the reaction. However, metal comes in two forms and getting from to other requires either oxidation or reduction.

Are you sure it was about calcium? Not Co or Cd?

Yep, it was Calcium. That's the other bit I found weird. I mean, this is an "adult learning" program provided by a local Catholic district school board, so the majority of the provided information has references to God in it, and I have seen quite a few spelling/grammatical errors, so it doesn't surprise me that there's a potential error in this question.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »
Technically it is not impossible to use calcium, it is just quite challenging to find a solvent. As these reactions typically take place in water, calcium is never used as an example, as it will react with water, not with the other metal.

For the same reason you typically never see any 1st nor 2nd group metals in such questions.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:34:20 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline dudebuddyguy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Technically it is not impossible to use calcium, it is just quite challenging to find a solvent. As these reactions typically take place in water, calcium is never used as an example, as it will react with water, not with the other metal.

For the same reason you typically never see any 1st nor 2nd group metals in such questions.

Odd. Well I did email the teacher for the course to ask if that formula was written correctly, as both formulas came out to be Reduction Half-Reactions, which would mean the Galvanic Cell has two cathodes and no anodes.

I've since skipped past the Electrochemistry section (which was just this assignment, then a test that I had to email the teacher to obtain a copy of) into the next section which is Organic Chemistry, and starts out with some real simple stuff; Lewis Structures.

So I'm a happy student now, getting back to the easy stuff.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Odd. Well I did email the teacher for the course to ask if that formula was written correctly, as both formulas came out to be Reduction Half-Reactions, which would mean the Galvanic Cell has two cathodes and no anodes.

This is a non issue. We are talking about reversible reactions that can go both ways. Just like you can oxidize Pb to Pb2+, you can also reduce Pb2+ to Pb. Reactions are written as reduction (or oxidation) because of a convention, it doesn't mean that's the reaction direction in a particular system.

Sponsored Links