September 28, 2024, 11:26:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermodynamic stability of isomers  (Read 6011 times)

Offline mushaboom

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Thermodynamic stability of isomers
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
I've been asked to explain whether dimethyl maleate or dimethyl fumarate is more stable thermodynamically. Dimethyl maleate is more polar, giving it a higher boiling point while dimethyl fumarate is the trans isomer so it "stacks better" and also has less steric interaction than DMM. Given these two observations, I'm not sure which is the correct answer.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Thermodynamic stability of isomers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »
I believe the question is asking about the INTRAmolecular forces, not the INTERmolecular forces. Melting and boiling points tell you about intermolecular forces.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
Orgopete is most certainly correct.  We can only study chemistry in two fundamental ways: thermodynamically and kinetically.  This is a thermodynamics argument which, as Pete pointed out, is due to the forces between the individual atoms of the molecule and not the molecule in relation to others.  I hope this furthers your understand.
          -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline mushaboom

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:37:01 PM »
Got it; thank you both!

Sponsored Links