September 21, 2024, 07:33:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Information regarding studying in Germany?  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Bidagdha_TADIR

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Information regarding studying in Germany?
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Recently one of my friends told me that there is a good opportunity for studying in Germany for Masters Degree in organic chemistry or other related subjects.
So I vaguely gathered some information regarding this mostly from my family members.
My greatest concern is that knowing the German language is necessary for enrolling into an institution. Does that mean that we will be taught in German language? Or is there facility to study in English as well?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +540/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Information regarding studying in Germany?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
From what I understand, pretty much everyone in Germany speaks English, especially in academic circles. I doubt you'll have a problem, and there's no better way to learn a language than to immerse yourself in it.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +186/-49
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:11:19 AM »
I am from germany. For international students english lessons are available at main universities for common studies. For specilist studies it depends on the Proffessor, which langauge is used. But it helps anyway to have a basic knowledge of the german language. Because in normal life, if you go shopping, take a bus, rent a room or other things not everybody speaks English or I have to say want to speak English. But I have the same expierence vise versa. In China not everbody speaks English, I have to help my self and learn some chinese.
Good Luck.

Offline Bidagdha_TADIR

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
thank you both Corribus, Hunter2. It's understandable that the people will prefer to speak in German. I think learning the Layman's language whether its German or English is not difficult and one should learn it if he/she wants to study in the respective country.
But in the class, the thoughts have to be expressed in more sophisticated terms sometimes (I am not talking about the scientific terms, they are more or less universal I believe). I am 22 years old, I really don't think I can learn/acquire another language at that level anymore. That's why I was worried. Anyway thanks again for your input.

Offline Hunter2

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »
I am 22 years old, I really don't think I can learn/acquire another language at that level anymore

Oh come on. I am 53 and i am learning chinese now. You are young person still, I think you can at least learn the basics and make it.  So far i understood to apply a visa for germany you have to know some basics anyway.
I know its easier to go to USA, UK, Australia. English spoken. But South America for example some spanish would helpfull. In Europe so many languages.

By the way which country you are from. India???

Here some information: https://www.study-in.de/en/study/admission-requirements/before-you-leave/language-skills/--12045

Offline Bidagdha_TADIR

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »
Thanks for the link. I am from Bangladesh. Yes, I can definitely learn the basics if I put my mind into it. But learning "Stereochemistry deals
with the spatial arrangements of atoms and groups in a molecule" in German and then be able to imagine a molecule with different atoms attached at different position - I am not so optimistic. But, I, am encouraged.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:44:17 PM »
I have never known a scientist from another country, especially one in Europe, who didn't speak at least passable English. For better or for worse, English is pretty much the international language of science. There are few serious journals or professional conferences any more written/held in any other language. Sure, you may have more problems trying to order lunch in a small café somewhere (but even then, if you're in a big city, you'll still probably get by), but as far as scientific dialoging goes, you should be fine.

(And about the being too old to learn a language - come on. If you live somewhere where another language is spoken, you'll learn it in time, no matter how old you are.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1807/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:13:01 PM »
If you live somewhere where another language is spoken, you'll learn it in time, no matter how old you are.)

Unless you die of hunger before you learn how to order the lunch.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »
So that gives you like, what, one to two months to figure out the local word for sandwich? :)

Offline Hunter2

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 01:43:28 AM »
It is the same "sandwhich" but you can also say "Butterbrot"

Sponsored Links