October 23, 2024, 09:24:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determination of Solubility Product  (Read 6124 times)

MolBio2005

Determination of Solubility Product
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:30:18 PM »
I've been racking my brain over this and it won't work out, so I created a calibration in order to determine the concentrations in test tubes of Cu2+.  This is for Copper II Tartrate, by the way.  I know the overall reaction is CuC4H4O6<->Cu2++C4H4O6.  And therefore the Ksp=[Cu2+ ][C4H4O6 ] but from my first two test tubes, where I'm supposed to find the solubility product, I have 0.049M and 0.090 for 1 and 2, respectively.  If I apply the fact that [Cu2+ ] and [tartrate] are 1:1 I get two different values for Ksp.  They are different insofar as they would always be different with different [Cu2+ ].  I'm wondering if I have to calculate [C4H4O6 ] in another way.  For the first two test tubes I mixed Copper Sulfate and Sodium Tartrate.  I look through every Chemistry resource and I get the same answers leading to my squaring of those concentrations, am I on the right path?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 03:14:03 AM by Borek »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Determination of Solubility Product
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:17:50 AM »
Explain - step by step - what yopu are doing. So far your post doesn't make sense to me.

Note that tartrate anion must be charged.

BTW: forum software breaks when there are two consecutive closing square brackets, separate them with space and your posts will be formatted correctly
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links