September 21, 2024, 12:47:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Personal project, I want to know how to draw a molecule {tattoo}  (Read 2004 times)

Offline crogi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Personal project, I want to know how to draw a molecule {tattoo}
« on: February 14, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »
This is a question which is I suppose a series of smaller questions showing my lack of skill and knowledge which is shocking given I'm at university doing chemistry.
So I want to draw a molecule using Carbon, Iodine, Rhenium and lanthanum.
can they be a molecule?
So I figure Carbon would be in the center and I found that La and Re have 2 valence electrons (I think) and that I has 7 so I know carbon is going to have to form a double bond with one of them and It can only form 4.

But I am lost and I really want to draw this chemical because it's my Fiancee's name and I think it would be cool to have a tattoo.

CLaIRe.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:11:53 AM by Arkcon »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +224/-62
Re: Personal project, I want to know how to draw a molecule
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
From WIKI
List of oxidation states of the elements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oxidation_states_of_the_elements

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »
Just those elements, each once?  No, that's not likely to be a compound that exists.  Now, a large, carbon-based molecule, that can trap one Re and one La atom?  That might be doable.  If you can design such a molecule (look up the chemistry of organic compounds of Lanthanide elements,) draw it out as a skeleton (so don't display hydrogen atoms in the structure,) and then do something stylized with the structure (because who wants an actual molecule on their body -- tattoos are often abstract, unless mermaids actually exist, and I've just missed seeing them,) then you might have something interesting.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline crogi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »
Thanks for the help I've not covered Organic Chemistry too much so this should count as study since its being covered this semester.

Sponsored Links