September 29, 2024, 02:23:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Olecochemicals  (Read 1760 times)

Offline tak201

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Olecochemicals
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:53:21 AM »
Is it possible to produce oleochemicals from cottonseed oil? If yes, can we produce all types of oleochemicals from cottonseed oil? Cottonseed is abundant in my region (Southwest Asia) and I was wondering if one could produce oleochemicals.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Olecochemicals
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
Can you define oleochemicals?  Do you mean hydrocarbons and other petrochemicals?  There has been tons of research in that direction since the time of the world wars.  It is uncommon for it to be economically feasible, although fortunately, not absolutely impossible.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline tak201

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
Thanks for your reply.
Oleochemicals are chemicals derived from plant and animal fats. They are analogous to petrochemicals derived from petroleum.

The formation of basic oleochemical substances like fatty acids, fatty acid methyl esters (FAME), fatty alcohols, fatty amines and glycerols are by various chemical and enzymatic reactions. Intermediate chemical substances produced from these basic oleochemical substances include alcohol ethoxylates, alcohol sulfates, alcohol ether sulfates, quaternary ammonium salts, monoacylglycerols (MAG), diacylglycerols (DAG), structured triacylglycerols (TAG), sugar esters, and other oleochemical products.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
Would cottonseed oil be cheaper than corn oil, even if cottonseed is produced locally and corn oil imported? As a gut feeling, they must compete as a feedstock for chemicals, as both contain much polyunsaturated oils, both mainly linoleic acid.

Sponsored Links