September 21, 2024, 09:51:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrochloride salt vs free amine  (Read 4659 times)

Offline MangoPlant

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Hydrochloride salt vs free amine
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Hi all, I had a question I was thinking of that I was hoping someone would have insights on.

If I add a certain amount of ethylamine hydrochloride to a solution of pH 7 buffer, and in a separate vial add an identical molar amount of ethylamine (free amine) to an identical solution of pH 7 buffer, will the ratio of protonated to unprotonated amine be the same in both cases? I know that the amine should reach equilibrium but I can't get an idea if the protonated:unprotonated ratio would be the same in these cases. Any help appreciated

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Hydrochloride salt vs free amine
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »
No it won't be the same.  The amount of free base will deprotonate more if there is 10 versus 100.  Even Na2CO3 will deprotonate methanol ~1/10 concentration.  What equation could you use to calculate the answer for the amine? 

Offline MangoPlant

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 10:09:30 PM »
I didn't quite understand what you meant by 10 versus 100. I thought of Henderson-Hasselbach, but I don't have a feel for how the pkA of ethylamine hydrochloride would compare to that of ethylamine. If they have the same pKa then they should have identical protonated:unprotonated concentrations in pH 7 buffer. Also this is not a homework question or a question that I know the answer to, just a question I was pondering when I was looking at hydrochloride salts of drugs.

In the pH 7 buffer, the ethylamine hydrochloride will come into equilibrium with its unprotonated ethylamine form. Similarly, if free base ethylamine is added to pH 7 buffer it will come into equilibrium with its protonated ethylamine form (CH2CH2NH3+). I am just wondering whether the unprotonated ethylamine concentrations in both of these cases is the same.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1807/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 03:18:45 AM »
Assuming pH doesn't change (and stays at 7) ratio of concentrations of the acid and conjugate base would be identical. Easy to prove rearranging dissociation constant formula in such a way you have the ratio on one side and Ka and [H+] on the other - Ka is a constant, [H+] doesn't change, ratio stays the same.

That's never exactly the case - you add an acid or a base, so the pH shifts slightly, but the shift can be small enough to be negligible.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MangoPlant

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »
Thanks a lot. This is what I was thinking as well but was not sure that the Ka would be the same. So would the Ka of CH2CH2NH3+Cl- be the same as the Ka of CH2CH2NH3+(HCO3)- or any other ethylamine salt (assuming the pH does not change and constant temperature)?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1807/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »
Ka is a property of the C2H5NH3+, counterion doesn't mater.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links