October 22, 2024, 05:51:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Melting point of sodium chloride vs calcium chloride  (Read 7786 times)

Offline stevemont7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Melting point of sodium chloride vs calcium chloride
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:18:11 PM »
Hello,

I had a homework question that asked whether NaCl or CaCl2 has a higher melting point. I said NaCl, as I believed that the smaller radius of the Na+ ion would increase the attraction between the ions. However, CaCl2 is the correct answer. I thought that this might be due to the increased magnitude of charge on the cation, but still, sodium chloride's melting point is 801°C according to Wikipedia and calcium chloride's is 772°C.

I'm confused.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Melting point of sodium chloride vs calcium chloride
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »
However, CaCl2 is the correct answer.

You have done the right thing - you have checked the primary data and you can be sure CaCl2 is not the right answer. There is not much more than can be said.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline stevemont7

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
However, CaCl2 is the correct answer.

You have done the right thing - you have checked the primary data and you can be sure CaCl2 is not the right answer. There is not much more than can be said.

Hi Borek, thank you for the response. I'm afraid I misrepresented the question.  It actually says, "For each of the following pairs of substances, predict which will have the higher melting point." Does magnitude of ionic charge influence the attraction between ions more than ionic radius? Because, if that is true, the attraction between ions would be greater in CaCl2, and one could assume that the melting point should actually be higher too, right? Then CaCl2 would be the correct answer.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1808/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:01:47 AM »
This is tricky. Such predictions/comparisons work only when you assume "all other things kept constant". Between other things that means identical crystal structure and it is obvious structures of NaCl and CaCl2 have to be different (because of different cation charges; NaCl structure is possible only when both anion and cation have the same charge so it occurs for many alkali halides and numerous sulfides and oxides of divalent metals), so the prediction based on just comparing the charges is guaranteed to be problematic.

Asking a question of "predict" type and expecting an answer that is incorrect is a rather poor (pedagogically) idea if you ask me.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline stevemont7

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:13:47 PM »
I see. Thank you for your explanation, Borek.

Sponsored Links