September 21, 2024, 05:36:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Melting point determination  (Read 2023 times)

Offline lily1998

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Melting point determination
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:20:26 AM »
Hi,

I am designing an experiment and part of my experiment has to do with finding the melting point of a given organic compound. I do not have a melting point apparatus which is commonly used.I do not have a thermometer that measures above 100 Celsius. Can I use a temperature probe which is attached to the capillary tube containing my sample ?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Melting point determination
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 05:21:25 AM »
I think any thermometer will work for the design of this experiment, just so long as you mention any liabilities in your plan.  Why not give us your entire design -- you seem to know what the typical melting point apparatus is, so how are you going to replicate it?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lily1998

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:05 AM »
The design is to setup a beaker of oil (paraffin) and attach the capillary tube with my compound in it to the temperature probe which will be placed inside the beaker. Using a Bunsen burner the beaker will be heated, 2 degree Celsius / min. The temperature at which the compound beings to melt and ends melting will be noted which is the melting point range.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 07:11:10 AM »
In what ways is your system different from a typical melting point rig, (and can you find an example in your text book -- online sources I've found aren't clear.)  Your write up should explain how your rig will compare to known methods.

Are you using proper melting point technique?  You seem to be using a capillary tube, that's correct. Do you know how much sample to use and how to pack it?

Whatever happens, you won't be putting the instrument manufacturers out of business with your high school project.  What you want to do is explain how good of a job you're going to do with what you have, and that you understand your systems limitations.  That's what the instructor expects.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lily1998

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »
Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links