September 29, 2024, 01:27:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help with past year papers  (Read 3175 times)

Offline jolymt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help with past year papers
« on: November 08, 2016, 06:41:39 AM »
Can anyone provide solutions and explanations to below questions? thank you!

1. a hypothetical equilibrium reaction conducted in an inert chamber at an atmospheric pressure is given as follows:

2A (aq) <--->B(aq) + C(aq) + 100kJ

a) write the expression for the equilibrium constant.

b) the equilibrium constant Keq is found to be 150. briefly explain what the numerical value represents in terms of the extent of the conversion of reactants to products.

c) given that Keq is 150, determine the equilibrium concentration of each reactant and product.

d) examined what happens to the equilibrium position when the product C is drawn from the reactant mixture for further processing.

a) Consider the following reaction:

2NO (g) + 2H2(g) ---> N2(g) + 2H2O (g)

the reaction is first order in H2, and second order in NO. When [NO] = 0.035M, and [H2] = 0.015M, the rate of disappearance of NO at 1000K is 1.1025M/s.

(i) write the rate law for the reaction.

(ii) demonstrate that the value of the rate constant is 6.0 x 10^4. define the SI unit for the rate constant.

(iii) if the concentration of NO is now doubled, solve for the rate of appearance of N2.

b) list three natural emissions from unstable radioactive nuclei. compare and contrast them in terms of charges and penetrating power (i.e low, medium, high).

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Need help with past year papers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 06:47:19 AM »
What are your thoughts? For instance, what is the definition of equilibrium constant, or rate constant? What kinds of decay do you know?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:57:42 PM by Arkcon »

Offline jolymt

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:03:36 AM »
What are your thoughts? For instance, what is the definition of equilibrium constant, or rate constant? What kinds of decay do you know?

I am still new to this topic, equilibrium constant expression can only be written using a correct, balanced chemical equation. The answers doesn't have to be too in depth as this module is just an introduction to chemistry & biochemistry.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:58:09 PM by Arkcon »

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:35:17 AM »
I am still new to this topic, equilibrium constant expression can only be written using a correct, balanced chemical equation. The answers doesn't have to be too in depth as this module is just an introduction to chemistry & biochemistry.

Not really, at least not at this level. But if you prefer, consider e.g.

2 molecules of propene  ::equil:: but-2-ene and ethene + 100kJ

(A = propene, B = but-2-ene and C = ethene), then. What is the equation for the equilibrium constant here?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +328/-24
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »
jolymt,

It is a forum rule that you must show your attempts or your thoughts before we can help you.

Offline jolymt

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 07:27:28 AM »

Not really, at least not at this level. But if you prefer, consider e.g.

2 molecules of propene  ::equil:: but-2-ene and ethene + 100kJ

(A = propene, B = but-2-ene and C = ethene), then. What is the equation for the equilibrium constant here?

Keq = ([C4H8][CH2]^0.2) / ([C3H6]^2)

Is that correct?

Offline jolymt

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 07:28:47 AM »
jolymt,

It is a forum rule that you must show your attempts or your thoughts before we can help you.

Hi Babcock_Hall,

i'm sorry i'm new here. attempting the questions now!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +328/-24
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »
Keq = ([C4H8][CH2]^0.2) / ([C3H6]^2)

Is that correct?
There are a couple of things that are wrong.  One,the formula for ethene is C2H4.  Two, I am not sure why you chose to raise a concentration to the 0.2 power.  Can you explain.

Sponsored Links