September 29, 2024, 02:26:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: New Jobs Are Hectic!  (Read 6402 times)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
New Jobs Are Hectic!
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:37:49 PM »
While I love the fact that I have a new job at a great company, that first week of a new job just sucks and I can't wait for it to end.  I hate having to fill out all these forms for HR in order to get all my benefits and retirement plans straightend out, and I also hope I didn't fill out anything wrong.  There are so many freaking health care plans of varying expense that it's difficult choosing the proper one.  I think I picked the right ones though.  I've got a good deal of pre-tax money taken out for my 401k and my health/dental/vision insurance.  Then I have the tax bracket info and I think because of my salary increase I'll be up in a slightly higher tax bracket which probably means no more refunds next year.   :(  Oh well.

The nice thing is that now I have an office, even though I have no phone or computer or printer/fax machine yet.  Heh.  I'm slowly making it feel more like my home than a white room with four walls right now.  (I just started this past Monday).  I had a friend print out a gigantic, true-sized copy of my periodic table and it's now hanging up on the wall behind me at work and it looks GREAT!  He runs the IT department of a landscaping place and they have huge printers for printing out blueprints and renderings of projects.  He was able to print me out a copy of my table on a large vinyl poster and it looks stunning.  It feels good knowing that I've "made it".  :D

Jdurg
Clinical Data Coordinator
Senior Associate
Pfizer Global Research And Development.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re: New Jobs Are Hectic!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »
I'm slowly making it feel more like my home than a white room with four walls right now.  (I just started this past Monday).  I had a friend print out a gigantic, true-sized copy of my periodic table and it's now hanging up on the wall behind me at work and it looks GREAT!  He runs the IT department of a landscaping place and they have huge printers for printing out blueprints and renderings of projects.  He was able to print me out a copy of my table on a large vinyl poster and it looks stunning.  It feels good knowing that I've "made it".  :D

Sounds like a productive few days at Pfizer! ;)

Hope all goes well there, just 2 more days before the first weeks over. :)

Well done for "making it", you deserve it!

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »
Congratulations again.

The first office is always sweet...just something about it is iconic of the working world.  If the company gave you your own space, that means they want you there.  Hurrah!

Good luck in your data co-ordination, whenever that starts, and hooray for benefits  ;D haha

Cheers to jdurg  :D

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 05:29:02 PM »
Congrats jdurg! Now the whole waiting for the new job to start process is over. Your paycheck will look healthy hopefully. Best of luck at your new job.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  Hopefully tomorrow there will be a phone in my office, finally, and my network account will be re-activated.  (For some reason, it got disabled on Wednesday right in the middle of the day).  It's just driving me nuts right now because I can't do ANYTHING until my account is activated again.  I know I'm still getting paid, but I don't like just sitting around and getting nothin accomplished.  It feels like stealing and is actually incredibly boring.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »
Try to get the company to buy you guys a pool table over there. Then instead of sitting around doing nothing, you can be playing pool. ;)

My dad did business with a dotcom before they went bust, and the company had a full fledged game room with arcade games, pool tables, a few holes of mini golf, air hockey tables, and ping pong tables.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links